Re: /etc/mtab: Permission denied

> I;m trying to boot my client but then it gave me this error message
>
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /etc/mtab: Permission denied
> can't create lock file /etc/mtab~ :Permission denied
>
> Please help..
>
> Azmi

Hi!

If you dont want to have /etc writeable by stations there's a simple
solution: create /etc/mtab~ on the server i station's directory tree.
It works for me.
However - passwd (I mean - PAM in RedHat) tryies to cleate lock /etc/xxxx
(can't remmember it's name) which can't be created when /etc is not
writeable. (check the mount permissions and the server /etc/exports
permissions). Then - you can _not_ change password
when at the diskless station. :((
I think only modification in sources can help (why the hell this lock is
not created somewhere in /var ???).

                                                    GREG__
+-- Grzegorz Prokopski ---- prokopsk@novell.itn.pwr.wroc.pl -----