3c509 bootrom not working

I have several cards with ne2000 and smc bootroms running fine. I seem
to have understood the basics :-).

I tried the same with my 3c509(b). Same eprom, same prcedure then
allways. But this time it is not working. The ROM is not maped in to
ram  at boottime and it fails to be recognized by the 3Com
BOOTROM-check-software.

of cause I enabled the bootrom in the 3com setup.