Re: tftp: timeout

Hello,

Roland Rohde <roro@artificial-organs.de> wrote:
> Is there really no mechanism that kills outdated tftpd processes so that
> I have to do that manually or by a cron job?

The ordinary (and also my _slightly_ patched) TFTP daemons have no working
mechanism to detect timeouts. A TFTP connection gets closed when all packets
have been transmitted. Therefore, if you reboot or shutdown a client with a
transfer pending (for example because too many timeouts occur), the server
will wait forever, until you kill it manually. This should be fixed on the
server side.

Regarding your timeout problem, I can't help you with that presently. The
timeout should be sufficient for even a slow network. However, I'm presently
reworking the TFTP timeout mechanism in 0.9.0 in order to adjust it to the
PXE specification. But I can't tell you if this cures your problem, and
when the final 0.9 version will be available as I presently have an extreme
lack of time to do any serious programming. You might want to try any of
the already released 0.9.0 version, though.

gero.

--
File names are infinite in length where infinity is set to 255 characters.
  - Peter Collinson, "The Unix File System"