Re: Netboot with large packet driver (RTL8139)

>Hello NETBOOTers,
>
>I want to boot some diskless clients with Longshine
>network cards (Realtek RTL8139 chip). After a first
>look at etherboot Markus Gutschke pointed me to
>netboot and the use of a packet driver.
>
>Realtek (www.realtek.com.tw) supplies a packet driver,
>but this one unfortunately has a size of 56k. Combined
>with the netboot part this is more than 64k and thus
>will not work in the netboot standard setup.
>
>Can anybody on this list suggest a solution?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Thomas Wuensche

I'm currently trying to get 8139 to work with either Etherboot
and/or Netboot.  Have you tried using the latest Etherboot?
I was able to get Etherboot to work with Realtek's 8029 which
is one of their NE2000 PCI clone chip.

I would think that 8139 chip registers be backward compatible with
8029 except for controlling the 100Mbps link speed.  If so i think
Etherboot should work with 8029.

As for Netboot, are you using the version 0.8.1?  I think version
0.8.1 supports larger packet driver binary size.  I would think
that since Netboot compresses the PROM code, i think with the
kind of compression that Netboot provides hopefully the packet driver
compressed can fit with rest of things in a 32KB or 64KB PROM space.

Maybe the network card that you have doesn't support 64KB PROM
size?  Have you tried using 64KB PROM?

Regards,

-mh

DSS/Diffie-Hellman Key