cc:Mail Link to SMTP Undeliverable Message

Message is undeliverable.
Reason: Unable to access cc:Mail Post office.
	Please retry later.
Original text follows:
---------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 12:24:37 +0200 (SAT)
From: Alex Harin <aoh@ucs.co.za>
To: netboot@baghira.han.de
Subject: Re: PCI cards and Phoenix BIOS
Sender: owner-netboot@baghira.han.de

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Andrew Coulthurst wrote:

> Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 16:49:23 +0100
> From: Andrew Coulthurst <andyc@svarog.demon.co.uk>
> To: netboot@baghira.han.de
> Subject: Re: PCI cards and Phoenix BIOS

> You might try disabling caching / shadowing ( long shot ) - but I've only
> seen problems like this in a 486/PCI system.

I have tryed to change every single option in the BIOS -- no luck.
Btw this BIOS has got an option of chosing network as boot device.
Is it possible that it needs a different point of entry into the
bootrom code? What confuses me that according to the hardware supplyr it
does boot with the same card but commercial eproms, I will try to get hold
of those -- may be I will be able to disassemble the sturtup code.

> With the Intel 82558 are you using the ROM socket from another card - or
> are you using the Flash socket on the Intel card ?

Yes I am using Intel flash ram. The same problem occures with 3C905 using
ordinary EEPROM.

> Could you give some more details on the Intel MU440EX ? ( chipset / bus
> speed ..... )
>
> Andy.

This is a branded Intel motherboard.  Chipset Intel 82443EX(AGP)
82371EB(PCI), 66 MHz bus speed, Celeron CPU, Phoenix BIOS, full specs are
available on Intel site. I have also got another Pentium II Intel
motherboard -- have not got specs at hand, and I had similar problem with
a Unisys branded machines something like AQUA DX, that was a pentium
system. All of them got Phoenix BIOS. These systems all boot by the way
with NE2000 ISA card.  And I did not mess up when programming PROMS, these
PCI cards boot systems with AMI and AWARD BIOS and those have not got
option for network boot.  I have never used romcheck program though, will
try it tomorrow.

Best regards,

Alex

> At 03:38 PM 7/24/98 +0200, you wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I've got a problem using PCI cards, namely Intel 82558 and 3com905B,
> >on certain makes of motheboards that use Phoenix Bios 4.0 Release 6.0,
> >like Intel MU440EX. The bios does not seem to be detecting bootrom at all.
> >
> >I have tryed both etherboot 4.0 with eepro100 patches and netboot 8.1.
> >The same cards with the same PROM's boot perfectly well in other systems.
> >
> >I have contacted the manufacturer and they say that the same BIOS
> >does detects commercial BootRoms.
> >
> >Has anybody experienvced a similar problem?

  Alex Harin, PhD           Universal Computer Services
  Tel  +27 11 339-6111      PO Box 31266 Braamfontein 2017, South Africa
  Cell +27 82 900-4779      20th Floor, Total House, Smit St, Braamfontein
  Fax  +27 11 339-3421      Johannesburg, South Africa