Re: Modprobe problem on a Diskless Client

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah wrote:

> I've been able to partially boot a diskless Linux client off a Linux server.
> Both running Linux 2.0.30 (Redhat 4.2).
>
> While booting up the kernel, the following message is given:
>
>  .
>  .
> Enabling swap space.
> Initializing random number generator ...
> INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
> Dec 15:21:26:10 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
> Dec 15:21:26:10 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
> Dec 15:21:26:11 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
> Dec 15:21:26:11 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
>  .
>  .
>
> Then it hangs.
The "net-pf-4/5" are attempts of the kernel to load the IPX and Appletalk
modules. These modules apparently don't exist on your system.
That does not mean you need them. I used to get the same warning a while
ago.
It can be suppresed if you add a *specific* line in /etc/conf.modules.
I don't have it handy, since I am at school now :(

In order to troubleshout netboots, use tcpdump from a third machine (or
the server). To get the interesting part,  run as:

	tcpdump ip host <ip of netbooted client>

Simos KSenitellis