Re: Problems with netboot 0.7.2

Gero Kuhlmann writes:
> Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU> wrote:
> > I turned on debugging for the packet driver in the bootp client and I
> > get the following:
> >
> > S 0000C0853DEE 45 00 01 48 00 ** 00 00 ff 11 * * 00 00 00 00 ff ff ff ff 00 44
> >
> > where "*" changes every second. The network card is an SMC and I
> > have checked the I/O address, IRQ and MEM address.
>
> The "*" bytes refer to the ID of each IP packet (which is changing with every
> packet) and the packet's checksum, which of course has to change as well to-
> gether with the ID.

Yeah, I figured that.

> Do you get any line with an "R" in the first column? If not this means that
> your packet driver is not receiving any packets - so it's not a problem with
> the bootrom itself but with the packet driver you linked into it. What packet
> driver are you using? Did the packet driver identify all resources (I/O, IRQ
> etc.) correctly at startup - usually the Crynwr drivers print their arguments
> on the screen when started? Have you tried it with a vendor provided packet
> driver? (I'm personally using a WD8003 with a packet driver found on SMC's
> ftp server which autodetects everything and works just fine).

I don't get any 'R' lines.
Can you give me a pointer to SMC's ftp server?

> > When I set the debugging level for bootpd on my server to 9, I get:
> >
> > in.bootpd[17621]: connect from 0.0.0.0
> > in.bootpd[17621]: version 2.4.0
> > [...]
> > in.bootpd[17621]: sending reply (with RFC1048 options)
> > in.bootpd[17621]: setarp 130.155.196.205 - 00:00:C0:85:3D:EE
>
> Have you checked with tcpdump, that the bootp answer is really going out?
> What IP and hardware addresses are given in the IP packet? Are they correct?
> I know that older Linux kernels had problems with setting the ARP address
> correctly so even when bootpd reported the setarp, the kernel didn't catch
> on and sent the IP packets with a wrong hardware address. You can check for
> this if you take a look at /proc/net/arp immediately after running bootpd.

No, I haven't checked with tcpdump. But given the diagnostic message
and the fact that everything works fine with an NE2000 card, or an SMC
card using Bootware, I'm happy that the bootp server is working.

				Regards,

					Richard....