Re: Using Netboot with PCI NE2000 compatible card

Hello,

Mike Hammer <mike-hammer@usa.net> wrote:
> Anyways, the problem i'm having is, i get the following error
> message from netboot:
>
> "PKTDRV ERROR: Invalid PKTDRVR".
>
> >From the response i got from you, it seems the vendor is not
> returning the correct value for function 10h.

Yup, either it returns the maximum packet size to be smaller than the
standard IP packet size, or the hardware ethernet address is not 6 bytes
long. What hardware address does the driver show at bootup?

> I'm going to
> send you their packet driver for reference.

I would really appreciate this in order to take a look at this packet
driver.

> PS.  Do you know if etherboot also uses the approach of using
>      plug-in packet drivers to interface with various Ethernet
>      boards?  This method seems to be the best as far as supporting
>      all those network cards in the market.

As far as I know etherboot does not support packet drivers. Unfortunately,
vendors for newer network cards don't always seem to deliver packet drivers
anymore with their products - especially I found this with some of the latest
Intel Etherexpress PCI cards. Therefore, I'm presently working on using NDIS
drivers optionally in addition to packet drivers. I don't know if this will
ever work, though...

gero.

--
A slower system is better than an incorrect one.
  - Mark Diekhans (markd@grizzly.com)