Re: How to admin a network cluster?

Graham Swallow <gps@trix.dircon.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 May 1997, Helmut Lichtenberg wrote:
> > Thomas solved this by implementing a mechanism of hostname translation into
> > the kernel. You e.g. have files
> > /etc/fstab#server1#
> > /etc/fstab#client1#
> > /etc/fstab#clientn#
> >
> > and directories like
> > /var#server1#
> > /var#client1#   etc.

>  Wouldn't it be easier to have /etc/ --> /var/etc/
>  and /var a seperately mounted dir for each machine
>
>  It still doesn't solve the complexity of maintaining lots
>  of slightly different machines, but it focusses the problem
>  down to the bits that are different, and it avoids the
>  need for any special kernel filename-mangler.

This does not solve the problem that you need separat root directories for
each machine with this setup which you also have to maintain separately.
The fascinating idea behind the 'transname' concept is for me that you only
have one server installation where all client-specific parts are
integrated. If you update one program or package, at once all the machines
are on the same state. And you can add a new machine to the cluster by
simply adding some files and an entry in /etc/bootptab.

>  Another idea, is to have (a few machines) with a local
>  CDROM, or even HD copy of a CD image. Helps with backups too!
>
>  Then look at GENERATING /etc/fstab /etc/hosts (etc) from
>  a database. You now have LINES that are shared between machines,
>  and LINES that get customised, but you can generate them from
>  data FIELDS. So when you update the options to mount /dos/c
>  everyone gets either LINES like A || B || C, along with
>  each PC's device parameter: host->dos_c_dev->dev_name_for_fstab()

Of course there are a lot of ways to automate and rationalize these tasks
but in my opinion this is a common problem and there should be a common
solution.

Helmut