Re: First experience with Netboot 0.6.0 remote booting

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Jun_24_09:32:53_1997-1

George Shin writes:
 > Finally it seems booting all 4 PC's at the same time results
 > in two PC's successfully booting and two other getting BOOTP
 > timeout.  I've looked at the module, "bootp.c" and it seems
 > the timeout is done via count to 32.  Is there a way to adjust
 > the timeout in BOOTP and TFTP without having to rebuild the
 > bootprom kernel (how about infinite wait)?  We would much prefer
 > using the precompiled binaries for now.

"Etherboot" exponentially increases the timeout between retries, while
also introducing some randomization. This technique is suggested for
most network related timeout handling and usually helps to deal
gracefully with resource starvations. I do not know whether "netboot"
uses a similar algorithm. If in doubt, just burn a couple of EPROMs
with an "etherboot" image (or temporarily boot the image from floppy
disk) and test if it works better for you. Both "etherboot" and
"netboot" have similar features but details do differ --- so depending
on your specific needs either of them might be more suitable for you.

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Jun_24_09:32:53_1997-1

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBM6/2thqJqDLErwMxAQELQgP+IuYubphMWMbCVdiEtCvdG4XHJyz/UNy5
PJcv3eEUWobTn1hIGl4ERSwB6o0yMWnkxTgXU4fUZYEKjAWvc2cd4lBES4jonzFx
K4Zet5bg5I47OIicufSt+JFdWSVzyFrBmSjNfkn2V8MTMG9pfjVWoGOSY8NhSel1
q7WxTrP2Ap0=
=SMt/
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Jun_24_09:32:53_1997-1--