Re: netboot via BOOTP

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Mon_Jun_23_09:19:42_1997-1

Ben Leung writes:
 > So it looks like the connection is established successfully.  I guess it
 > is the configuration of the client's root filesystem that causes the
 > problem.  So when a system boots up, what's happening after the root
 > filesystem is mounted.  Does the init process takes over right
 > away?

If you do not use an initial ramdisk and do not pass a different name
for the init process on the kernel's command line, then "init" is the
first process that is started. If your root filesystem is not
configured correctly, then chances are that either "init" is never
started, or it cannot find some of the files that it needs for
running properly. Most notably, this includes "/dev/zero",
"/lib/libc.so*", "/lib/libm.so*", "/etc/inittab", "/etc/rc.d/*",
"/bin/sh", ...

If you cannot find the problem, then I would suggest, that you use
Linux's feature of loading an initial ramdisk. This allows you to run
an interactive shell from within "/linuxrc". You can then try to find
out, why the subsequent starting of the "init" process fails.

Good luck,

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Mon_Jun_23_09:19:42_1997-1

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBM66iKhqJqDLErwMxAQFwygP/czzcCsOCYe2r96oAW7T+1S2D/rB+r0aF
1k6fYYfNXdGSOwk5ybQQ5IkBtrHuCnKovzVzC8XEAUevXf7D9vuN2quYC/7FkLkc
gTRZtTHKMnjBXDDj+gnLMOAJHAC6MTAr4NiBJf5BX2IC+s79uXq5pdTuLyGaYPci
bHbORXLdntk=
=3ICr
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Mon_Jun_23_09:19:42_1997-1--