Re: Netboot: kernel panic init not found

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 18:48, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been tearing my hair out trying to get some joy out of Redhat's
> system-config-netboot utility that claims to set up a server to serve a
> diskless client environment.
>
> All goes well until the client boots up, loading the root filesystem
> from an initrd. The client then says "Kernel panic: no init found".
>
> According to the config on the server, the following command line is
> being given to the kernel:
>
> initrd=Fedora_Core_2/initrd.img root=/dev/ram0 init=disklessrc
> NFSROOT=192.168.200.150:/var/lib/diskless/i386/fedora-core-2
> ramdisk_size=10000 ETHERNET=eth0 SNAPSHOT=violet

This looks like a pathing problem. It has to get initrd.img and pull it into
the ramdisk. initrd probably needs an absolute path, as in initrd=/initrd.img
I'm not familiar with NFSROOT, but should that not include a mountpoint?
Also there are two different spellings of Fedora_Core_2
hope this helps...

> Unfortunately there does not seem to be a way of telling the kernel to
> print out the command line (that I am aware of), so whether the kernel
> is actually receiving the above command line is a mystery.
>
> I have confirmed that a file called "disklessrc" (an ash script, yes ash
> is installed on the initrd) is installed in the root of the initrd. The
> kernel does not agree though.

I don't think it got that far...