Re: hardcoded config

Hello, Gero.

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 01:53:37PM +0200, Gero Kuhlmann wrote:
> UNDI is a network driver interface specification. ...

Thanks much for the explanation, I was misnaming this stuff. What I
actually wanted was a device-independent driver between netboot and PXE
stack. This interface is used, for example, in pxelinux -- it is
supposed to work on all compliant cards.

> > This is, unfortunately, what I'm also trying to avoid -- I would really
> > prefer software-only solutions.
> Why? It's rather simple. If you have an AMI or Award BIOS it is really
> easy to remove the commercial PXE bootrom, and replace it with the
> netboot bootrom. See the netboot home page for further information.

I'm in the process of creating a prototype which others would setup, use
and maintain. People's experience in hardware and netbooting will vary.
Therefore I have to stick to defaults, out-of-the-box solutions and
maintained sources -- I believe it would be easier to get help in the
future. And it's much easier for me to ask to send a file from
c:\tftpboot than to debug a screwed ROM on phone.

> This doesn't work: the strcpy() function is not implemented in the
> runtime library which gets linked into the bootrom (the bootrom doesn't
> use the standard libraries). You have to do it with memcpy:

Oh, I would never find it myself 8) !

> If you really like to help me with the netboot project please let me know
> by personal mail.

I will try all alternatives first. If I don't find a satisfactory
solution, I'll let you know.

Thanks again for your explanations and code!

With kind regards,
Baurjan.