Re: Diskless Notebook

Klaus Espenlaub wrote:

>>If you have a PCMCIA/PCCARD ethernet adapter, you need assistance from user
level
>>programs in Linux, so getting those cards detected at boot time is pretty much
>>impossible.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to enable or allow the CardBus NICs
to support network boot on existing platforms - it is vendor dependent.  For
this to happen, support must be implemented by the laptop vendor. Custom
extensions to the (usually) Phoenix BIOS must be written on an individual basis
(i.e. customized for each and every different model of laptop) to enable the
Cardbus bridge controller to talk to the BIOS.

As long as the notebook has support for PXE for Cardbus, it will work, as per
the PXE 2.0 spec.  It is supported in "Phoenix BIOS version 4.06 Build label
"199920" and above" for those notebooks using variations of a Phoenix BIOS. BIOS
build requests from Phoenix customers (i.e. notebook vendors) contain a
check-list of FEATURES they want in BIOS.  These vendors need to ask for the WfM
2.0 feature upgrade (provided they are source code customers).

We know (and have tested) that Dell Latitudes have had this enabled for at least
6 months now. BIOS upgrades to existing Latitudes may enable this feature, if it
was not already present.

Regards,
Steve Marfisi
Manager, Technical Services