Re: PXE Project?

On 11/30/2000 4:58 PM Dave Stubbs dstubbs@nubbens.net wrote:
>Is there a project out there to provide PXE boot ROMs for all network cards?

You might want to check out Nilo (www.nilo.org)  From that page:

NILO is the Network Interface Loader. NILO will boot Linux, FreeBSD,
Windows 95/98/NT4 and support the Intel PXE standard, and is suitable for
burning into ROM. It is an evolution of the previous Etherboot and
Netboot projects, and was authored by Ken Yap, until Rob Savoye took over
active development..

>I'd love to use etherboot but because of it's insistance on using
>"next-server" it doesn't work with most of the environments I'm trying to
>manage.  PXE is a much more desirable alternative because of this.

There are also commercial options for PXE ROMs.  There are links on the
Etherboot (http://etherboot.sourceforge.net/) page.

You also might want to take a look at the GRUB project
(www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub.html), and of course the PXELINUX project
(http://people.redhat.com/alikins/ltsp/pxe/pxelinux/)

Hope this helps.  Please write back to let us know what you find, and how
it works, that we might all benefit from your experience.

Regards,

Marty

---
    Try: http://rom-o-matic.net/ to make Etherboot images instantly.

   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/