Re: [Etherboot-users] Problem with LinkSys (Tulip)

Hi all,

sorry, I was very busy the last few days, so my response to your hints
for my Tulip-Problem are a little bit late.... but here we go...

> Something is very strange here!  I have not seen any NetGear FA310TX
> cards with 0x11ad,0x0002 as their PCI IDs.  Do you have one?  I would
be
> willing to pay for one if anyone has one.

How much? ;->  I have two Tulip based NIC's here and both are not
working with Etherboot (sad but true - but I should remark that I tested
the D-Link just one time and maybe I took the wrong driver - I will
check this this evening again):

LinkSys LNE100TX        : Vendor Id=11AD hex, Device=0002 hex
D-Link DFE-500TX REC-C6 : Vendor Id=1011 hex, Device=0009 hex

There is a big Chip on the LinkSys with the following information:

PNIC
LC82C168
9745
AK8458-1

On the D-Link, the chip "says":

digital
21140-AF
21-43864-04
© DEC 1996
DC1064C

The bad thing about the LinkSys NIC is that this bloody NIC is
available in eight different Reversions - sometimes with "totally"
different Chips (DEC 21140, PNIC LC82C168, PNIC LC82C169 and PNIC
LC82C115)... Have a look at the Web-Site of LinkSys - you can see it
there (Download Area of LNE100TX - there are pictures of the used
Chips so the users can select the correct Drivers to download)...

> I suspect the MAC address of your card might be wrong in the DHCP
server.
> Could you double-check that?  you can get your MAC address under linux
with:

No no, my DHCP Setup is ok - I checked it.

> a hub, and you are running something like " /usr/sbin/tcpdump host
> my.dhcp.server.com" it is hard to be absolutely sure the card isn't
> talking on the wire.  The blinking lights are not always conclusive.

A few minutes ago I tried again and started tcpdump -i eth0 'src not
192.168.1.2 and dst not 192.168.1.2' on the machine running my DHCP
Server (192.168.1.2 is the NT-Box I'm currently using - I excluded
this maching so no SMB-Messages are displayed...). No packets arrived ˙
using Etherboot. I then tried my "netboot Bootdisk" and tcpdump stared
"talking to me" ;-)

> The ROM address is strange.  Mine is 0x00000000
> are you loading from a floppy?

Yes, I am....

> I am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with Floppyload.bin and
> the Tulip driver.  It is one of the larger drivers.

I also tried the floppyload+tulip you had attached to your first reply
to my questions... No change :-(

> There are many possibilities that need to be checked. if you could run
> this same test with the computer and server connected to a hub, and do
> tcpdump to watch traffic, the results would be more conclusive.

Sorry, I have no Hub...

> Can we take a look at your DHCP config file and a tcpdump log to see
if
> there are indeed packets being transmitted?  I'd stop by, but Germany
is
> a little far away :-)

My DHCP-Config File is this (don't expect too much) :-)

option domain-name "local.net";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
option routers 192.168.1.1;
option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

use-host-decl-names on;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.20 192.168.1.30;
  filename "/boot/client/menu";
}

Well, I hope my information can help you with your further
development...

Georg Baum (Georg.Baum@gmx.de) also asked me if I could add my NIC's
to the NIC-Database at http://etherboot.sourceforge.net/db/ . Sure - I
did it a few minutes ago...

Bye
  Michael

--

Source Code, Tips, Tricks und Sonstiges für
Linux, Windows, OS/2 und MVS auf        http://private.addcom.de/knick