Re: Look Mom, no PROM burner! (eepro100b flashing instructions) :-)

Hello!

In <http://www.han.de/~gero/netboot/archive/msg01718.html> I wrote what I
did know about futil and fboot then. It is about the same as Martys
instructions, but I have a few comments now.

> Then, see how large it is, with an "ls -l eepro100.rom". the answer will
> probably be 16,384.  You need to pad it with hex FFs to make it 64K for
> FBOOT.  I used the following two lines to create the flash image file.

>   $ perl -e 'print "\xFF" x 49152' > 48kpad.bin
>   $ cat eepro100.rom 48kpad.bin > 2794FC60.FLS

It worked for me without any padding. When I burned a smaller image
the program printed 50% instead of 100% and then it
stopped. Everything worked anyway.

I also did a brutal way of install etherboot or netboot on a
EEPRO100+Mng without creating a file of type "2794FC60.FLS" for
every card. It was necessary for me when I installed 70 clients...

I chopped the binary file fboot.exe (my version was 99811 bytes, I
don't remember the version name) in three parts:

fboot1 30096 bytes
fboot2 65536 bytes
fboot3 4179  bytes

Then you cat put them together again, but with a different part 2 and
save it as fbootown.exe and execute it. It worked for me anyway. Of
course you have to use padding to get a 64k part instead of fboot2.

/Erik S

Erik Starbäck, System administrator    E-mail address:    erik@math.uu.se
Uppsala University                     Telephone (o):     +46 18 4713277
Department of Mathematics              Cellular phone:    +46 70 4250260
P. O. Box 480                          Fax (o):           +46 18 4713201
SE-751 06  UPPSALA
Sweden