Step by Step Instruction: a tip and a question...

Op Zondag 21 Juni 1998 om 00:00 schreef Ken Yap aan Udo van den Heuvel:

 >> Is the anyone wo know where I can get a simple Step by Step Instruction
 >> for i nstalling Diskless Workstation to use LINUX by remote. I want to use
 >> my old 486er for Internetbrwosing only without any Hard-Disk an d Disks. I
 >> studied all Linux books und man pages but had no success till now.

 KY> Try the talk slides, then the README at

 KY>     http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot/

 KY> This is being typed on a 486 X-terminal.

Another tip for finding out what's ahppening:

On my station booting went OK until the root-fs was mounted; after that the
system didn't do anything except 'live'. It was pingable but nothing happened.
I used the debug options of the nfsd and a line of '*.* /somefile' in
/etc/syslog.conf to see what the diskless station was looking for and after
copying the needed files (some libs, etc) I *just* got it to boot into a shell,
yes! Single user, but after some (more) fiddling runlevel 3 should be working.

Groeten,
        Udo

--- GoldED/2 3.00.Beta2+