lockup of tulip, can't mount root

I'm using netboot for remote boot and have several
NIC's running, but this time a Accton EN1207 with
21140 Chip is locking up the boot process.

Netboot works fine, is getting the Linux kernel
via TFTP and starting up the kernel.

All devices are detected including the NIC.
The message is:
eth0: Digital DS21140 Tulip at 0xec00, 00 00 5a 18 04 6c, IRQ 11.
eth0:  EEPROM default media type Autosense.
eth0:  Index #0 - Media MII(#11) described by a 21140 MII PHY (1) block.
eth0:  MII transceiver found at MDIO address 1, config 1000 status 782d.

That looks good to me, isn't it?

After setting up the NIC, a partition check follows
and then the kernel is mounting root the first
time and therefore using the network if booting remote.

But at this point I get the message:
NFS server not responding, still trying.

Because the server is set up correctly and working
with other NIC's and clients, I did a tcpdump.
That pointed out that there is no traffic from
the NIC (not sending anything at all).

The problem occurs while the kernel uses the tulip driver
the first time after the packet driver has finished his
TFTP.

Using the same kernel on the same client as local boot,
everything is working fine.
Using the same kernel on the same client as remote boot
with an other NIC (lance driver), everything is working.

Is this problem known, or am I the only one having this?

How can I carry on, any suggestions?

Bernd Fehling
University Bielefeld, Library