New specifications for bootroms

For the past month or so all the machines that I have ordered and gotten
have been coming with bootroms.  So for the past few weeks I have been
searching for information on how this whole thing works.  I know bootroms
have been around for as long as netcards but this is my first real
experience with them.  My journey for information has been long and
frustrating with little or no meaty information for public consumption.  It
seems to me that a few companies want to keep it a secret because it can be
very valuable to the mainstream corporate market.  As I work for an
educational institution I do not have the funds that are required for most
of the mainstream products available.  So my search has been for a GNU
solution.

have been getting closer and closer to being able to remotely boot my new
machines.  Today I have stumbled upon probably the most helpful information
to date -- http://developer.intel.com/ial/WfM/tools/pxe/index.htm  This page
outlines the Preboot Execution Environment by Intel for their Wired For
Management spec (
http://developer.intel.com/ial/WfM/design/pxedt/pxespec.htm).  What these
PDF files is about is the future of network based computing.  There are many
other vendors besides Intel that are picking up the torch and running with
it.

*	Acer

*	AST

*	Compaq's WfM information page

*	Dell's WfM information page

*	Fujitsu

*	Gateway

*	Hewlett-Packard's WfM information page

*	Hitachi

*	IBM

*	Micron's WfM information page

*	Mitsubishi

*	Monorail

*	NEC

*	Packard-Bell/NEC

*	Pionex Techonologies

*	Quantex's WfM information page

*	SNI

*	Toshiba

*	Unisys

*	Viglen

*	Vist

*	ZDS

Computer Associates Intl.

Unicenter* TNG 2.2
Unicenter TNG Framework 2.2

Hewlett-Packard

OpenView* Desktop Administrator 4.01
OpenView Network Node Manager for NT 5.02

Intel

LANDeskŪ Client Manager
LANDeskŪ Management Suite
LANDeskŪ Server Manager

Tivoli Systems Inc.

NetView Version 5.0a

*	Lanworks Technologies Inc. ( http://www.lanworks.com/)

*	InCom GmbH ( http://www.incom.de/)

*	Intel Manageability Products and Solutions Page

*	AMD
*	SMC
*	Novell
*	3Com

These pages have lots of good information.

*	Some other links to good reference material can be found on this
page: http://developer.intel.com/ial/WfM/design/bibliog.htm
*	This page has some good software for bootroms and the demo will even
make bootable images for you under NT.   http://www.bootware.com/needto.htm
*	This has alot of speculative information that is a good read
http://www.eg3.com/vtc/incom/shead.htm#Heading7
*	Outdated and in German but translated with Altavista its still a
good read http://www.leu.bw.schule.de/beruf/zpg/kf/zpg18/text7ht.htm
*	Commercial company that everyone says to go to for support
http://www.bootware.com/
*	Information about the above
http://www.id.dk/comforum/support/files/net/3comboot/readme
*	Allot of Useful information including RFC's
http://www.netsys.com/archives.html
*	Another company that doesn't update their page
http://www.incom.de/index_en.shtml
*	Good information but a bit outdated
http://netsys.syr.edu/micnet/cluster_docs/win95/index.htm
*	Good info but in Spanish but it has a cool tidbit about changing the
registry in 95 to set the computer name from the DNS entry, I believe...
http://vitoria.upf.tche.br/~fred/
*	How to NFS a root drive on Linux so you can boot from the net
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/docs/howto/mini/NFS-Root-Client
*	NE2000 bootstuff
http://www.realtime.no/stavanger-datasenter/Drivere/networking/148.htm
*	RPL info for Novell
http://www.realtime.no/stavanger-datasenter/Drivere/networking/CSBRPL.TXT
*	TCP/IP information about 95...some useful some incorrect
http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~llurch/win95netbugs/faq-c.html
*	Linux DHCP and bootP Information
http://www.secretagent.com/networking/dhcp.html
*	The best NT FAQ and how to install remote boot
http://www.ntfaq.com/ntfaq/network.html#network42
*	If your on the mailing list you've probably seen this
http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot/ and http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot/nilo/
*	Remote boot for Linux has info on setting up old bootroms for multi
o/s http://cuiwww.unige.ch/info/pc/remote-boot.3/
*	Probably the best place to get the most bloated incomplete
information
http://premium.microsoft.com/msdn/library/?FinishURL=/msdn/library/
*	Outdated information but still useful
http://www.katedral.se/system/elevsyst/

THIS IS THE FUTURE: http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/pc98.htm /
http://developer.intel.com/design/pc98/

Ok now that I have got that all out of the way I just have to say that some
of these links you could have found on your own pretty easily but I included
them just to make it easy for reference.

>From what I have learned there are several ways of booting a computer
remotely.  The term is so loosely used I believe it needs a better
definition.  First there is turning on a computer from a remote location
which could be considered remotebooting. Second there is having a computer
getting information from a remote source while its booting.  Third could be
having the computer load the operating system from a remote source to boot.
All which could be considered remote booting.  If you are unclear on which
or what remotebooting type operation you are doing I would recommend reading
the above links to gain a clearer picture.

My definition of remote booting is a computer that has to have information
from a remote computer to be able to boot, no matter if the o/s is on the
harddrive or on a remote computer.

Now there are several different types of services that can facilitate remote
booting.  RPL, DHCPD, BOOTP, TFTP, PXE, MTFTP, and others.

Each one of these types of services needs a special bootrom. But today
bootroms are coming in a multi-flavor package capable of being able to boot
from several services or even having code uploaded into the bootrom itself.
Many network computers today are able to even insert the code for
remotebooting into the computers bios for remote booting.
http://www.intel.com/managedpc/elements/index.htm#svcboot

That's all I have for now but I plan on putting up a web page soon with
other information I have gathered.

John Clark (skyman@iastate.edu)